Dedicated in 1898, the Provo Tabernacle was an impressive structure of its time, featuring octagonal towers at all four corners, a high-pitched roof, exquisite woodwork, and room to seat 1,500. For the next century, the building hosted U.S. presidents, musical performances, school commencements, interfaith gatherings, and community events.
In December 2010, a four-alarm fire destroyed the structure. Unsure of the building’s future, local residents were delighted when The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints announced the historic Tabernacle would be rebuilt to serve as a temple, the faith’s highest place of worship.
The owner and design team worked diligently to recapture the beauty of the original structure. Interior components that survived the fire were used as models to reproduce rich woodwork and other design elements. The temple includes four floors: two above ground and two below.
This property has more extensive grounds and less surface parking than any other LDS temple. To accommodate visitors, the project introduced a 245-stall underground parking garage.