Dedicated in 1919, the Laie Temple was the first temple The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints built outside of Utah and outside the continental United States.
In 2006, Reaveley Engineers performed a seismic evaluation of the structure; two years later, the temple closed for general repair and renovation work. Most of the spaces inside the temple were completely refinished; historic murals were preserved, protected, and repaired. The baptistry was also repaired and renovated. Most of the existing HVAC systems were replaced and upgraded.
Reaveley Engineers provided structural design services for wind and seismic load upgrades as well as structural alterations associated with architectural modifications. Reaveley assisted with site improvements including reconstruction of the existing plaza and fountain, new storage, and pump rooms. The Visitor Center was also upgraded with new displays and kiosks. Reaveley continues to provide engineering services for various improvement projects.